top of page

Update – List of Canada’s institutions now approved for receiving international students

Canada has now updated its list of Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) which have been approved for permitting international students to come to Canada and study on campus.

This is the first of further updates to come. To determine if your institution is on the list these are the steps to follow.

Step 1 Go to the proper link

Step 2 Scroll to the bottom where it says “Find out if your DLI is approved”.

Step 3 Make a selection for the question “Which school level are you going into?” You have two choices. Choice number 1 is “Primary or Secondary School” which means study between kindergarten and grade 12. Choice number 2 is Post-secondary school which refers to programs of study after high school.

Step 4 Another question will pop up “In which province or territory is your post-secondary school located”. You must know not only the town or city the institution is located in but the province or territory it is located in. Canada has 10 Provinces. The territories are Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut. There are no national institutions. All are governed by the laws of a province or territory.

Step 5 Check if your institution is on the list. If it is on the list, it is approved and if it is not on the list it is not yet approved.

EXAMPLE Search for Saint Mary’s University, in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Choose Post-secondary school and choose Nova Scotia as the province. One will see that Saint Mary’s University is approved. Nova Scotia institutions were only added in this new update of November 3, 2020.

Note that the Province of Québec has a system of CEGEP schools that students can enter still of high school age, such as 16, 17. For these schools, the student should search Post-secondary school and choose Québec as the province. It is a very long list so make sure the exact name is known.

Comments or questions may be sent to

46 views0 comments


Success! You will get regular updates on news related to studying in Canada.

bottom of page